Preserving thoughout the year - in the Kotlich
My trusty husband got a jolly fire going yesterday in the snow. Yep, more marmalade needs to be made, although I can't think why I have loads left from last year. The Kotlich lends itself to a communal event, and although there were only 2 of us, we sat round enjoying our lentil soup during the boiling proces. We were surrounded by very chatty and busy sparrows.
This made me think of all the other preserving we do in the Kotlich. Some thoughts for the year ahead.
- Rhubarb and ginger - March onwards
- Gooseberry and elderflower jam - May - June ish.
- Strawberry jam - as soon as.......
- Blackcurrant, redcurrant jams and jellies - July, August.
- Blackberry and Apple - as soon as ..........
- Crab apple jellies - make a great base for different flavours and a wonderful colour.
- Quince jelly or cheese - very expensive pots in the deli these days, but we can make it ourselves!!